Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Till Kingdom Come

Cloudless, blue-sky overhead; a serene, sparse field occupies the eye below. The horizon is not very far; the edge of the field is lined with trees. The right corner has the edge of a large building with red brickwork, possibly a school building. A slow, breeze disturbs the grass; details such as temperature don’t bother me. A haze continues to frame this imagery. There are three silhouettes of grown men to my left shading their eyes and pointing to the heavens. My naïve eyes follow their fingers and end in a pair of parallel, wispy clouds…they could almost be jet streams…but not quite. A slow mumble in the distance is growing louder as I watch the lines change shape. A triangle slowly evolved, now a square and eventually terminating in a circle. Growing larger at a constant rate. The sky in the middle begins to melt as the approaching noise is deafening in this soundproof world. I lift myself off the ground, dust my pants off and stand enthralled by the sight of a sky gradually vanishing. Was I waiting for something to happen? Do I belong here? Who am I? These are the questions I’ve asked myself now that it is over.
I might have seen it in some movie at this proximity, or read such an account in some sci-fi novel. But the power of the mind can destroy all illusions of danger. Reality is our faith and unlike religion - we all perceive it in the same way.
The sky gradually began getting eaten away as a bright, golden mass slowly approached through the focus. I watch. I need to know. Curiosity drives the spirit. Through the smoke and ash that began to rain down upon the grass, I saw it come towards us. Us? I believe now that it had come once more, just like it did before - with purpose as always - to breathe new life into the world of course. The magnificent destruction of our monopoly over this planet; my seat is in the front row, and its value is the cold sweat of wakefulness. There is a wind that blinds the defiant yet I stare on unfazed and unharmed. No one bothered to count the years, but the approaching lover awaited his kiss eagerly. Was he wanted? Was he about to be used? Consumed? He’d scar her like others have before, but he wasn’t here to destroy her legacy…he couldn’t even if he tried…could he? He was the forgotten lover, the one who waited and watched her so many times before. And it was her azure twinkle that brought him back all those times. What did he really want? Darting between the stars, leading a life of perpetual disintegration, blazing a trail of frozen shrapnel, a destiny of spectacular destruction yet the destination unknown, an anonymous existence yet potency unquestionable. A wary eye stared at him and he seemed to stare back. A moment later they know their prayers have been answered, as a path ahead is now free of any obstruction. As the sand continued to flow and he watched her hue fade with a disease consuming beauty. There was one like her before. He hadn’t forgotten her or how another had stolen her in fiery consummation before his eyes. She never looked the same again. Maybe it was his bitterness that drove him to say this. Or maybe her bleak, charred skin was testament of his memory.
This moment of passion would arrive, if not the prophets, science did teach us this. The events played themselves out in slow motion as I turned to run. My kith and kin demonstrate their will to survive as fear drives its stake through the frame the infestation. The consistency of the world grew thick as my limbs froze; I hang in suspended animation in the shade of the building. It could never shield me, but it proves that I’m only human – survival riddles every inch of my flesh and bone. I brace for the shockwave that would prove ominous to our existence. Staring back at the red brickwork - deceptively sturdy, it never arrived.


Coldplay - Till Kingdom Come
Steal my heart and hold my tongue
I feel my time my time has come
Let me in unlock the door
I never felt this way before

And the wheels just keep on turning
The drummer begins to drum
I don't know which way I'm going
I don't know which way I've come

Hold my head inside your hands
I need someone who understands
I need someone someone who hears
For you I've waited all these years
For you I'd wait 'Til Kingdom Come
Until my day my day is done
and say you'll come and set me free
just say you'll wait you'll wait for me

In your tears and in your blood
In your fire and in your flood
I hear you laugh I heard you sing
I wouldn't change a single thing
And the wheels just keep on turning
The drummers begin to drum
I don't know which way I'm going
I don't know what I've become

For you I'd wait 'Til kingdom come
Until my days my days are done
Say you'll come and set me free
Just say you'll wait you'll wait for me
Just say you'll wait you'll wait for me
Just say you'll wait you'll wait for me

3 comments:

Rimi said...

sandy...whew! just...whew!!! this is so amazing, i don't have words for it. hri's right, INGENUOUS imagery. you're the man, sand!!!

sand.man said...

It was this dream I had a while back. Woke up a little freaked out actually.

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

I was a little put off by the stream-of-consciousness effect (or perhaps by the lack of paragraphs, I'm big on paragraphs) until I saw the Billy Joel.

Good choice. Another good one is 'Time to remember' with the line "I'm warm with the memory of days to come".

J.A.P.