Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Jump Ship?

Decided to blog today after what I'd call quite a long day. I'm tired but I'm pushing myself to put these thoughts down before they get lost like all the other phantom posts between now and the last one.

I dropped by college earlier today for some work. That got postponed and I ended up going back to the department after what seemed like an eternity. While I was standing at the ledge one of my juniors stepped up to me and decided to engage in some football banter. Or, well, what he considered banter but turned out to be something smelly, gooey and undesirable...much like egg on one's face. Junior said something along the lines of "Its time you stopped supporting Arsenal. You should hang your head in shame." Meanwhile, D-Man, another ledge occupant, suddenly perked up at hearing the word 'Arsenal'. You could not for a moment question the authenticity of his expression of sheer disbelief for his jaws were doing an impersonation of an aircraft hangar and his eyeballs were gravitating out of their sockets towards me. There stood before him a real, live, Indian, Arsenal fan. *Gak!* For the uninitiated, Arsenal fans in India occur as frequently as sightings of the Royal Bengal Tiger in your backyard...unless, of course, you live in the Sunderbans, in which case, I'm guessing, its not much fun.

Anyway, Junior decides to dive deeper into the dingleberry soup when he asks D-Man which team he supports. Dumb question! Paddy Power, Ladbrokes, UKbetting, William Hill and the rest no longer take bets on Indian football supporters. EVERYONE knows that Indians have a dedicated OCD for Manchester United. "Manchester United?", scoffes Junior. "Erm...yes. What are you?", asked D-Man, blissfully unware of the way he'd phrased his question. "Real Madrid!", smirked Junior, "You people and your Premier League. *points to himself* Premiera Liga**! *superior smirk*"

So supporting a continental team instantly elevates you to a higher plane? Why didn't someone tell me this before?!?!?! All along I was supporting a lowly, 2 bit English team. In fact, what the hell is wrong with the rest of my countrymen? Manchester United? What were you thinking? Ah well, lets all go support Wisla Krakow or Grasshopper-Club Zürich!

I support Arsenal because of Wenger. Because of his track record, his brand of fabulous, 1-touch football, (modelled closely on the principles of Total Football) and his ability to work within the financial limitations of the club. Again, I don't support Real, Chelsea, ManU(re), Liverpool, Barca because I'm not a glory hound. I'd rather sacrifice the titles and the bragging rights for a team that knew how to play entertaining football. If I had to pick a Spanish team, I'd go with Villareal over Barca or Real. If I had to pick an Italian team, I'd go with Atalanta over the Milans or Juventus. If I had to pick a Dutch team, I'd go with Ajax Amsterdam because they invented Total Football. If I had to go with a French team, I'd go with Marseille -- not PSG or Lyon. And, lastly, if I had to go with a Portugese team, I'd go with Sporting Lisbon, not Benfica or FC Porto. If I had to go with a small team at the World Cup, I'd go with Japan or Ivory Coast.

For those of you who know a thing or two about football, you'd probably get the fact that I've picked the underdog on most occassions. You may have your own reasons for supporting your team but, thankfully, not everyone supports the Greatest Circus the World Has Ever Known, Real Madrid.

** There is no such thing as the Premiera Liga. You can either call it the Spanish League or the Spanish Premiera División or La Liga.

6 comments:

rukmini said...

Other than you, I know two more people who support Aresenal :D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sand.man said...

Well, in total I know 4 Arsenal fans other than myself. There is the man who introduced me to Arsenal, Siddhartha Banerjee, who was in my class in school. Then there is Dad, Sarbajaya and another chap from Bangalore who uses the Arsenal forum I frequent. So yes, that is my collection of Royal Bengal Tigers. :P

sand.man said...

Also, Dibyo, why did you delete your comment you silly man?

sand.man said...

Also, Begum Rukmini, you have made a wonderful khichudri of 'Arsenal'. :P

Reeti said...

even i know people who support arsenal :)